Tuesday, July 16, 2013

My 10 Year Dance Game Anniversary - 6/27/13!!

Today marked 10 years from the 1st day I ever set foot on a dance game! The game: Dance Dance Revolution arcade machine at the Oh Wow! Nickel Arcade in Merced, CA.
Oh Wow! Nickel Arcade in Merced, CA:

Oh Wow! Nickel Arcade • 100 W Olive Ave • Merced, CA 95348 • (209) 383-1880

This is an old pic of the dance game set up in the Nickel Arcade. DDR Solo is on the left and the DDR machine I started on is on the right, though the pic was taken a couple of years after I started and after it had been converted to ITG1 and then ITG2:


And this is me in high school with my good friend, Nick DeOrnelas, who got me started on dance games in the 1st place!:


Anyway, Sean's and my schedules have been so busy lately I hadn't even had time to think about my DDR anniversary let alone plan for it til last minute. What to do? Well, the day rolled around and I still didn't have any plans so that morning I finally just sent out a Facebook invitation for all my Vegas dance game friends to swing by our house that evening and play some various dance games with us!

In addition to another 4 arcade machines and some rare console versions we brought out, here are old pics of the other half of our machines which we had set up for them:
DDR Max 5th, Dance Maniax 2nd Mix, and Beatmania 4th Mix:
TechnoMotion 2ndMix:

I guess it was pretty short notice for everyone because evening came and only a few friends came by. In total, it was Sean, Danny, Avery Baumann, Naomi Cheng, Nick Coltor, Donovan Decarlo, Reggie Lyles, Alma Hernandez, Hector Hernandez, and me dance gaming throughout the night. Regardless, we had a good time and got lots of arrow smashing in!!
An early evening pic of Don, Nick, and Sean playing dance games while Avery watches:

Sean and I started off playing DDR Extreme. It seemed appropriate since that was the version I'd started on. After awhile, we moved on and had a couple of songs on DDR Solo 2000 and 3 songs on ITG2. We had a game on DDR 5th Mix in the garage (we had the machine that we switch between mixes on running 5th) but it was way too hot to keep playing out there at the time so we came back in for a song or 2 on TechnoMotion. Then we gave our legs a break and played my favorite rare home console dance game, Stepping Selection, on the PS2 (using regular PS2 controllers since I don't have a dance mat for this game and a swap disc because it's a Japanese game)!
For those unfamiliar with Stepping Selection:

At maybe 11pm or so, after Danny had gone to bed and everyone else had finally gone home, Sean and I had the dance games to ourselves! We'd REALLY enjoyed the company, of course, but til tonight we hadn't given ourselves a chance to play on our own dance games in quite awhile so it was refreshing taking the time to just play whatever, whenever, and as much or as little as we wanted without having to watch the clock or take turns with other people. We took a break for few hours to play with the dogs, snack, and do some various things around the house and on our computers but finally we got back to the dance games - ITG to be specific! We spent about 3 to 4 hours goofing off and playing some various step charts ranging in difficulty from 9s to 18s (we didn't pass them all). We picked ridiculously hard charts, charts we didn't know for good songs we did know, random charts we came across, etc. Most importantly, though, we played our own chart - the 1st collaborative chart either of us had ever made as well as the 1st song Sean had ever stepped! The song: Remix (I Like The) by NKOTB from their newest album, 10!!
Sean and me playing the step chart we made to Remix (I Like The) using StepMania!:

For anyone interested in downloading our step chart:

http://www.mediafire.com/?18p9h32nd903gw6

For anyone interested in downloading StepMania:

http://www.stepmania.com/wiki/Downloads

Definitely not one of our most extravagant events but I'd say it was an extremely appropriate and well spent dance game anniversary for me plus it got us in the right mind set for our next event: flying to Columbus, OH later that same day (now 6/28/13) for our Fort Rapids 7 ITG tournament trip!!
(add Link to my FR blog post)

No comments:

Post a Comment