Friday, July 17, 2020

Charleston Peak Summit: North Loop up & South Loop Down - 7/17/20

Sean did this hike last year and had been wanting to take me since, as I'd never been. I was appropriately reluctant and terrified, but I agreed in exchange for him teaming up with me for the ECS 8.5 ITG team tournament recently. Was it worth it? Welllll....maybe ask me once I've had my rum and like 17 hours or sleep. In the meantime, here's how it went:

We woke up yesterday and got our mile and the rest of our 100 in 100 Days daily challenge in. (More on that later!) Then we munched a bunch and stayed up all night working. At 5:30am or so, we took off to Mount Charleston to hike up. An hour drive and couple of Rockstar energy drinks later, we were at the trailhead!

The hike took us nearly 19 miles in a little over 9 hours. We hiked up 4,769 feet to an elevation of 11,863 feet at the summit.

Tbh this was one of the hardest hikes I've done. It probably doesn't help that I can't remember the last time I did a notable hike or tried more than a slow, 1 mile jog max.

Some hike highlights:

•We passed the remains Sean had told me about of the airplane that'd crashed into the side of the mountain years ago.

•We encountered an expansive forest of trees, dead from an old fire and extending for miles in seemingly all directions, a couple of miles or so into our South Loop descent.

•There was a small clearing that was swarming with large dragonflies! We had no clue why, but it was quite a sight.

•Aside from smaller wildlife, we encountered a wild horse near the South Loop trailhead.

After like 18 hours without food (beyond a few chips), we grabbed some Burger King and headed home to Netflix and knock tf out. Sooo...lots more pics later. We've been up since who knows when yesterday, and I'm destroyed, so it's way past time to grab some Zzz's.

^My Strava type-up from the hike. Pics are now up on my Facebook. Vids coming on YouTube soon!

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/Rlt31IcOd8



No comments:

Post a Comment