Sunday, November 27, 2016

England, Italy, & Greece 11/3/16 - 12/5/16 - PART 1: UK

Spending countless hours but likely much less money than anyone normally would for the same, Sean and I had been planning this trip all year. When it finally came time to leave for the airport on 11/3/16, we were as ready as we could be! We got a Lyft ride to the airport using $5 of new user credit and just under $8 out of pocket and got to Terminal 3 for our 6pm Norwegian flight.

I'd broken my foot 2.5 weeks prior and had had surgery on it about 3 days prior so standing in the longest check-in line ever was a bit of a nightmare. Luckily, I had Sean and a nice gentleman in line to help with my bags and Sean had modified my left crutch with a cool knee rest so, aside from giving my right leg a good work out, everything else was taken care of. In fact, the struggle paid off quite a bit after that. When it was our turn at the check-in counter, they ordered me a wheelchair. We had to wait in some nearby seats while someone brought it for me but, after that, it was so much faster and easier getting around the airport. Sean pushed me to security where we got to use a special lane and skip the line. We might've broken even time-wise when they had to pat me down because I couldn't stand up with my feet flat in their scanner thing but at least Sean and I both got to sit down in that time, him on a nearby bench and me in the chair, rather than standing around in a long line. Sean was able to stand on the back of the wheelchair after giving me a big push so we got to the gate so fast after security and were even allowed to board first. In fact, I was the first one on the plane! Definitely a first for me.

The flight was kinda late taking off, which made things briefly hard for us after landing, but it ended up being okay. During the flight was great anyway. Sean and I had splurged on the 1 checked bag, selectable seat, in-flight meals deal both to and from the UK, primarily because the whole package wasn't much more than just paying for a checked bag and it was all cheaper than shipping a checked bag's worth of stuff. So we were pretty spoiled this time around, as much as one can be on a cheap flight in economy class. Lol We were seated fairly close to the front of the plane, we had adequate leg room to make it work, we had in-flight movies to watch together and games ro play together, and it wasn't too terribly long before we were being served chicken curry dinner and tasty beverages. Since I had to move around every 45 mins to an hour, doctor's orders, to avoid blood clots, I didn't get much sleep. I also had to get up a lot to take antibiotics, blood thinners, and a couple of pain killers. (Honestly, the last of these was for the headache I always get when I fly.) It was okay though! I got a lot more done than I usually do when I sleep through my flights. I learned some Spanish, listening to audio books I'd put on my phone, and I typed this and other blog stuff up all while watching movies with Sean.

Day 2 - 11/4/16:

Before I knew it, they were bringing us breakfast and lots more drinks! Eventually, all the beverages made me need to pee but one of the flight attendants was thoughtful and generous enough to let me sit in her seat while I waited for the restroom.

Once we'd landed, a guy with a wheelchair was waiting just off the plane to pick me up. He wheeled me to his fancy, oversized golf cart where he got me seated, Sean to my left, before going back for the rest of the less physically able on the plane and whoever they came with. When he'd gotten us all loaded on his golf cart, he transported us to the passport control area and through a big, clear door. He said, and I'm not sure whether he was joking, that it was the route the queen went through passport control. We completely skipped the line, which was easily an hour long at the time, and were screened right away. Wow, I'll have to break a foot more often! From passport control, we were driven to baggage claim and dropped off. Our bags were on the carousel when we arrived so Sean grabbed them up and then we rushed along.

We'd booked a 12:15pm EasyBus (technically a National Express operating  as EasyBus) from LGW South Terminal, Lower Level, Stop 3 to Victoria Coach Station for £5.90/2 people. Due to arrive at Victoria Coach Station a few hours before our next bus would depart, it was our best choice. The passport control line-cutting had saved us but the flight delay had still made catching the bus difficult. Sean and I had to rush around to figure out where to get the bus from and I was having to hobble around on crutches, even up and down flights of stairs, breaking a sweat all the while trying to make it to the bus. We managed to get there just in the knick of time but I was dripping and panting with aching arms as we boarded and claimed our seats.

When we reached Victoria Coach Station, we killed some time with a walk down to Sainsbury's about a block away. Normally, that wouldn't have taken long at all but I was feeling REALLY hindered. Still, we managed to get a couple of bits before getting back to the station to wait for our next bus.

At 4:30pm, we had a National Express bus booked to Loughborough (The Rushes). Can't remember the price for this one but I know it was cheap too. We napped a bit this time. Just after 8:30pm, we finally got to Loughborough and Sean's dad was there, parked across the street from the bus stop when we pulled up! He picked us up and drove us to his place.

Pat was up and waiting for us when we arrived. As always, it was so good seeing her and Sean's dad again! Pat was still really weak but she was at least able to stay up and hang with us for quite awhile. We sat around and chatted for the longest time yet time just seemed to fly! Finally, Pat called it a night and went to bed. Sean and I headed out shortly after but didn't manage to escape Pat and Sean's dad's generosity. They had a spare car they were planning to sell so they'd put us on their insurance for the month we were visiting and had let us borrow it. They'd also given us the sweetest Xmas card that began, "To a special son and daughter-in-law at Christmas Time" along with a very unnecessary £250 cash. Wtf They're unstoppable!! They mean so well but they spoil us so much more than I've ever known before meeting Sean's family and more than I've ever needed! We'd been collecting up gifts for them for the past year and had a good assortment set aside to give them a little closer to Christmas but it was nothing on their generosity. They'd even filled up the gas tank on the car and had it washed by a neighbor who'd spent the whole day doing it! Geez..

Well, after saying goodnight, Sean and I drove to Tesco to get some treats before heading to Sean's mom's house. Despite how much I love Tesco, I wasn't sure I'd have a good time in such a big store on crutches. Can't even carry anything while on crutches! Luckily, they were prepared for me! They had wheelchairs, wheelchair - friendly carts, and more to use around the store free of charge! Sean was a sweetheart and pushed me around and we had a great time!

It was late but Sean's mom got up for us when we arrived and we talked for awhile as Sean and I got settled in. She was looking fantastic and doing really well! It was so wonderful seeing her as well! She'd decorated her living room with tons of pics of Sean and me! She'd done so much to prepare for us. She'd even gotten us new toothbrushes, food, and so much more! Always spoiling us. <3

Finally, we called it a night and headed up to Sean's old room to cuddle up in his amazingly comfy, warm bed. Then we watched part of a movie before getting some much needed sleep.

Day 3 - 11/5/16 (Bonfire Night!):

We couldn't believe it when we woke up and it was already nearly 5pm. Guess we were pretty jetlagged! By the time we were showered and fed, Sean's mom was getting home from work. Sean and I had to head out for our big plans though. We had tickets to the The UK's First 360 Degree Fireworks Display at Cattows Farm, Normanton Lane, Heather LE67 2TD! We'd invited Sean's mom and other friends and family but no one else wanted to or could go so it was just Sean and me.

Sean and I headed over to Cattows Farm a little after 6pm. It was so cold out but we'd bundled up a bit so we were okay! Couldn't really complain anyway. Everywhere we looked, people were shooting off big, badass fireworks, lighting up the sky! A little cold couldn't take anything away from that.

After parking at the farm, the walk to the festival area from the parking was tough for me and it occurred to Sean after the fact that we should've maybe asked for handicapped parking. It was okay though! I got a good workout half the time and Sean piggybacked me the other half of the time and got a good workout himself! Once we were inside, we found ourselves in an open, grassy area surrounded by food stands, a few carnival rides, a bar tent, and a stage where a couple of tribute bands and other musicians were playing. We found ourselves a spot to sit right around the middle of it all and relaxed there til firework time, sometime between 7:30 and 8pm. Then, they put on one of the best fireworks displays I've ever seen, complete with synchronized music!! They played about 4 or 5 songs and put on a GREAT show, mostly right in front of us but sometimes ALL around us, surrounding us with huge, incredible fireworks! Only EDC and maybe Disneyland come to mind when it comes to fireworks displays I've seen that might give this one a run for its money. SO good. We'd missed bonfire night by a matter of days at least twice together in the past, getting flights to the UK as little as one day too late. Not this time! This was my first bonfire night ever and it couldn't have been better!!

Once the fireworks were finished, Sean and I spent a little time looking around the food stands and carnival area. Then we made our way back to the car, watched other fireworks in the distance, and played Heads Up! on my phone for a bit while we waited for traffic to dissipate.

We went to another Tesco next and stocked up on foods and drinks, especially from the reduced section. We got a bunch of Iron Maiden Troopers beers too. Hey, it was for work! We'd already sold a bunch of them as bottle lamps and it was time to restock. The orange Buck's Fizz was just for fun though. :p Not sure I'd tried it before but when we got back to Sean's mom's house we chased some seasoned chicken, a chichen vindaloo, mushy pees, and frosted mince pies down with it. It was the absolute best! It seriously tasted like it was 0.5% but Sean said it was around 5! Gonna have to remember that one!

We caught up with some online work then before watching movies in bed til morning. Around 6:30am, we finally called it a night.

Day 4 - 11/6/16:

Sean and I managed to crawl out of bed at 11am today and eat a strange but pretty good fish breakfast before heading out for shopping at Home Bargains and Morrison's with Sean's mom. We got some wood for the fireplace from the gas station down the street too! Then we went back to the house and spent the rest of the night together watching TV while Sean and I hung out, worked, caught up with friends and family online a bit.

We got some pretty tragic news in the midst of the last of these. I found out from my dad that my uncle Dale (Dad's brother)'s son Aaron Ewing had just died in a car accident. I couldn't believe it.. I still can't. I wasn't very close to him but from what I know of him Aaron was a wonderful, good, loving, generous person. So young and strong, doing so much good in the world. Unless there was something better waiting for him after, very few people deserved to live as much as he did. :/

Later in the night, Sean and I migrated upstairs to watch movies in bed. Then, very much in need, we finally gave in to our urges and christened the formerly fairly clean sheets with adult business for the first time this year. Zzzzz's soon followed.

Day 5 - 11/7/16:

Sean and I had a dental appointment in Loughborough this morning so we woke up early and still managed to miss it due to unpredictability horrendously traffic and shitty parking options. Oh well.

Since we were already in Loughborough, we did some shopping. We stopped in Poundland, CEX, tons of other stores...Got lots of fun foods and a handful of other items as well - even a Ninja Turtles show I'd never heard of on dvd!!

Between shopping, we stopped in a McDonald's and grabbed tea and coffee, currently on special for £0.69p each from 10am-noon!

Then we ran more errands, did a little more shopping, and headed back to the house for a break.

We had some food while watching the Ninja Turtles dvd, which ended up being extremely similar to the movies I've been so fond of since childhood. Then we wrapped tons of gifts we'd been saving for family and a few friends for a year now before heading out again.

We were free so we figured we might as well surprise Sean's mom at work in Coalville and see if she'd let us give her a ride home. We were a bit early so we popped in some charity shops and other stores before heading to her work place and kidnapping her!

All home again, we relaxed in the living room and ate. Sean and I did more work throughout the evening and into night til we all eventually decided to head to bed, Sean and me watching movies in the bed til just after midnight.

Day 6 - 11/8/16 (Eye Appointment):

Sean and I were up early today so we ate, washed up, and took Sean's mom to work. Since we were in Coalville early, we walked to the Wetherspoons a block or two from Sean's mom's work to get Sean a tea while we waited for shops to open. Then we visited a few charity shops, where we got a couple bits, and a discounted snack shop called Yum Yum, where we got some unbelievably cheap treats.

We had to be at Tesco in Ashby just after 11am for free eye appointments we'd scheduled so we drove there next and found that Sean's vision hadn't changed at all in the past year and mine hadn't changed much since March or so.

Neither of us had explored Ashby before really so we went into town to have a look. We visited the ruins of Ashby castle first. The grounds were closed and would've charged to look around anyway so we didn't go in but, as there was no indoor bit left really, we could pretty much see everything from where we were! We snapped a couple of photos and moved on. Once we'd found parking, we did a couple hours of shopping in what I think was the main street in Ashby, stopping in various stores and when a little market to get lots of fun knick-knacks, edibles..even a candied apple!

Needing food and a break, we went to the house after that to make some food and relax briefly. Then we did some housework, work work, and sorting of some of Sean's old things.

When Sean's mom got home from work, we spent a couple of hours hanging out together before Sean and I went to his dad's house to take him and Pat the Xmas gift we'd put together for them. We took some beers and snacks to share as well and spent a couple of hours sipping, munching, and chatting. Sean's dad had some various foreign coins (euros, US coins, Canadian..) for us and some heartburn pills for Sean. So useful!

Around 11pm, we said goodnight and headed back to Sean's mom's so everyone could get rest for early starts the next day. Then Sean and I ate while watching movies til sleep time.

Day 7 - 11/9/16 (Trump Elected President, Loughborough Fair):

I woke up to the news that Donald Trump had just been elected America's 45th president. Election day was yesterday. I wasn't there and didn't vote but there'd been no escape from hearing about it all nonstop and increasingly throughout the past year. Now, even on the other side of the Atlantic, I was hearing about it all day on TV, radio, and in passing conversation everywhere I went. I didn't mind. It was just amusing to me.

Sean and I were up before 8am for breakfast, showers, and prep to head out for the day with his mom. She was off work so we took advantage!

Our first stop was Doreen (Sean's mom's sister)'s house for a visit. It was my first time meeting her and Sean's first time seeing her since he was little, I believe. She was such a sweetheart and had a sweet dog named Rainy (or Rainey?) too. Rainy was the biggest greyhound Sean and I had ever seen! At first, she was a bit shy and unsure of us but she came around and was loving our affection and attention in no time at all. We didn't stay super long but we chatted and got acquainted over tea and coffee. We'd stay longer on our next visit in a week or two but it was nice just to meet Doreen and spend a little time.

Sean and I took his mom shopping in Loughborough next. The Loughborough Fair, which I'd also missed in prior years but would finally be visiting this time, was starting tonight and was being set up when we arrived. We stopped in a lot of shops, especially charity shops, and bought a few things. Most of the things we ended up buying were from Home Bargains and another store that had inexpensive foods and other things. It was pretty tough getting around on the crutches and with all the purchases but definitely worth it. Besides, I got a good workout. Every day so far had been arm day! Lol At one point, we took a little break to warm up in a Wetherspoons, I think it was, with tea and coffee. They had WiFi so Sean and I joined his mom in playing some Pokémon Go for the first time in awhile! She dropped a lure, there were a couple of Pokestops, and we caught a fair few Pokémon. No Mr. Mime (European exclusive) yet but we saw him on the radar!

A couple of interesting things:

-Toilets in the UK seem much cleaner than in the US on average but they don't have seat covers, at least in any of the dozens of restrooms I've visited.

-Quite a few American goods were actually cheaper here than in the US despite being imported. For example, it's easy to get Monster energy drink for £1 (which would be $1.25 with current exchange rate or maybe $1.50 with the exchange rate before the "Brexit") in most shops here. In a few shops, you can get it 2 for £1 or even 3 for £1! (Of course, we couldn't pass that up!)

We drove back to the house after Loughborough to eat, chill, and work a bit. Sean's mom fixed Sean and me a really nice meal with lamb burgers we'd bought and salad and pasta she had. Mmm! I didn't think I was gonna like it but it was great!

At 7pm, we drove to Sean's cousin (technically his cousin's adopted son but we call him Sean's cousin) Samuel Pass's place to meet his wife Georgina and head to the fair with them. Sam showed us his game room and had a quick whiskey on the rocks with us and then we headed out.

The fair was free to get into and there weren't any gates or anything to seclude it. We just walked and found ourselves in it. Though it was opening night, it wasn't insanely busy and the prices for things there were lower because it was a weekday (Wednesday). We wandered through the fair, which extended a couple of blocks or so in each direction, right in the center of town in front of all the shops we'd visited earlier. We each got a candy rope and we shared some brandy candy (maybe brandy snaps or something?) too. The fair food was much cheaper and a little different than I'd seen at fairs and carnivals in the US. They had hot dogs, hamburgers, cotton candy, and candied apples but they also had alcoholic hot chocolate and coffee, hot chestnuts, fish and chips,.. and I didn't see any funnel cakes but I'm not sure they were really missing out. Lol Most of the carnival rides were the same as or very similar to ones I'd seen in the US but maybe half of the games were different. We watched people play a few and Sam and Georgina even gave some a whirl as well! In a liquor store we passed, we got some ciders but soon realized it was illegal to drink outdoors there and had to chug them! Just after that, we went on a SCARY, high, spinny ride that cost £5 per person but was worth every penny. I saw my life flash before my eyes and lost about half my dinner because of it. The signs of a quality ride! Georgina didn't actually join us for that one but she went on a different ride that involved a lot less height, more spinning, great music, and £2.50 per person. Desperate to coat my stomach with something as we finished up at the fair, Sean and I popped in a dirty chicken shop quickly and spent £2.60 on 3 chicken fingers and 4 wings to share. Holy shit......sooooooo good!!!! I could've probably eaten about 6 times that amount but maybe next time!

We went back to Sam and Georgina's after that and hung out just a little longer while sipping tea and coffee and looking at their wedding pics. (They'd just married exactly 1 month prior! Congrats, guys!!) We played with their kitty cats while there but Sean's allergies weren't super happy about that. :p Luckily, he was fine once we said goodnight and headed home to pig out a little more with a movie til sleep time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment